What To Do When a Parent Stops Paying Child Support

lady holding credit card looking at computer upset

After receiving child support consecutively, it can be concerning when your ex-spouse all abruptly stops making payments. There are many reasons why a parent may stop fulfilling their child support obligations. For example, the parent lost their job, has health issues impacting their finances, or they are just flat out refusing to pay the support. The Law Offices of Michael D. Iverson is here to assist families that are struggling with child support matters.

Why Have Payments Stopped?

One of the first steps is to determine why payments stopped. When parents stop making payments If a parent is not making payments because of a medical issue, they are unemployed, or any other reason that was out of their control, then the non-custodial parent may have options to work out an agreement so that more money can be paid at a later time or so that other types of help can be given by the non-custodial parent until payments can be made once again.

Obtaining Support for Your Child

If child support is court-ordered, a Murrieta child custody attorney can work with the correct officials to file documents to bring the parent to court to show why payments have not been made. Most courts will give the parent a set timeframe to make a payment before further disciplinary action is taken. Local child support agencies can also enforce the order if the parent is not cooperating.

If there has been a reduction in work hours, then the non-custodial parent may be able to modify the amount of child support for a reduced amount until the parent's hours increase or until more money is available for the parent to pay. In order to qualify for a modification, there must be evidence that the parent has no other source of income and their options for obtaining income are limited. There must also be proof that the parent is trying to overcome their circumstances to find employment or income to support the child.

In the event that the parent still neglects to make payments, the court can take action by taking a portion of their job wages, sentencing them to jail time, or issuing fines. Any extra income like a tax return could also be taken to pay on back child support.

In California, there is a statute of limitations of three years for filing a contempt of child support. Therefore, if your ex is not making child support for an extended period of time, you must notify the court every three years. They will be required to pay back all back child support claims until they fully pay it off, even if the child is older than 18.

A Family Law Attorney Can Help You Enforce Child Support

Enforcing child support orders can be complicated to navigate on your own. To ensure your child is being properly supported, it is in your best interest to seek legal assistance from the Law Offices of Michael D. Iverson. Our team of family law experts will do everything in our power to protect the rights of you and your family.

Call the Law Offices of Michael D. Iverson today at (951) 418-2770 if you have concerns about enforcing child support.

Related Posts
  • Why Do I Need A Lawyer for Child Support? Read More
  • Helping Children Cope with Divorce Read More
  • Can Retirement Impact My Active Support Orders? Read More