What Should I Do If My Spouse Isn’t Following Our Custody Order?

boy with teddy bear and parents fighting

As a parent with joint custody, you may look forward to the time you spend with your children. Though your time together may be scheduled and limited, your love for your child is not, making it upsetting when you learn that their other parent is not abiding by the custody order. If you come across this situation, make sure to collect your thoughts and check your custody order before calling your favorite child custody attorney.

Check Your Custody Order

Before you call your attorney, the first thing you should do is check your custody agreement. Read it over carefully and make sure that you did not miss any important information or misunderstand the agreement.

Violation of Custody Order

Once you’ve read through the custody agreement and thoroughly understand what it entails, then you can determine whether your former spouse has violated your child custody agreement. Common child custody order violations include withholding visitation with the child or insisting on a not agreed-upon change in scheduling.

If you believe that your former spouse is following the agreement and you misunderstood, proceed as normal. However, if you believe that your former spouse is not following the guidelines in your child custody agreement, you may have to take legal action.

Document Everything

If you believe that your spouse is not following the custody arrangement, make sure to document all order violations. You can document this through writing emails, sending text messages, and taking time-stamped photos or videos. This paper trail can help your attorney in the future if you need to file a child custody modification or request court-ordered enforcement.

Contact a Murietta Child Custody Attorney

With your documentation of the violated custody order, call your local child custody lawyer. Together, you can go over your child custody agreement and determine if this is in fact an agreement violation. If your attorney believes that your former spouse is not following the child custody agreement, then you can file for a modification or enforcement of the court-approved custody agreement.

Our child custody lawyer at Law Offices of Michael D. Iverson, APC has your best interests in mind and is dedicated to protecting your parental rights. If you have any questions about your child custody agreement, call our child custody attorney today at (951) 418-2770 to schedule a consultation today!

Related Posts
  • How to Modify Custody Orders Read More
  • Helping Children Cope with Divorce Read More
  • What Should I Do If My Child Does Not Wish to Follow Their Custody Plan? Read More