What Should I Do If My Child Does Not Wish to Follow Their Custody Plan?

father and daughter having a deep conversation

As a parent, it can be difficult when your child expresses reluctance or resistance to visit with their other parent. While it can be an emotional and overwhelming experience, it is crucial that you take the time to review your legal options. A qualified attorney can help you determine if a modification is possible in order to ensure that your child is kept safe and secure.

Let’s take a closer look at what happens when your child refuses visitation or time-sharing with their other parent.

Understanding Visitation Rights

The court may grant visitation rights to one or both parents depending on the circumstances of the case. Generally speaking, visitation should be encouraged unless there is a valid reason for denying it – such as abuse or neglect.

If a modification needs to be made for any reason – such as when a child does not want to go to scheduled visitation or time-sharing due to feeling unsafe with their other parent– then you should contact an attorney as soon as possible.

When Can You Request a Modification?

If there has been a significant change in circumstances since the original order was made, then you can file for a modification of the original order. This could include changes in schedule due to work/school conflicts and illness/injury that affects either party’s ability to visit scheduled timesharing sessions.

The key here is that there must have been some change in circumstances since the original order was issued for you to file for modification. If this is true in your case, then it would be beneficial for you (and your child) if an experienced family law attorney reviews your case and helps determine whether or not filing for modification on behalf of your child would benefit them most in this situation.

Deeper Understanding. Better Solutions.

If your child does not want to go through with scheduled visitation or time-sharing with their other parent, it may seem like an impossible situation, but there are options available that can help make things easier for everyone involved – including yourself and, most importantly, your child.

Don’t let fear keep you from getting the help you deserve; reach out today and call our firm at (951) 418-2770 to schedule a consultation with our attorney and learn more about how we can help your family.

Related Posts
  • How to Modify Custody Orders Read More
  • Helping Children Cope with Divorce Read More
  • How to Future-Proof Your Child Custody Arrangement Read More