Can I Make an Unofficial Modification to My Support Orders?

couple reviewing documents

You may notice that your current support order no longer suits your family’s needs. With your former spouse, you might wish to discuss creating a new order that better reflects your abilities to support yourselves or your children. Our support attorney at Law Offices of Michael D. Iverson, APC shares what you should understand about creating your own support order modifications.

Unofficial Modifications

An unofficial modification is one made by the parties involved in the child or spousal support order that is not filed with the court. When making modifications, couples can make adjustments with the help of their attorneys if they do not wish to have the court make the modification for them. However, these changes to the current support order should be filed with the court once agreed upon, or the couple may face serious consequences in the event of court order enforcement.

Implications on Court Order Enforcement

If court order enforcement is used by one party to ensure the payment of their support order, the court will use the most recent court-approved support order available. If you have created a support order modification with your former spouse that was not filed with the court, then that modification will not be considered by the court. If your modification decreases payments, then the paying party may be held liable for the entire value considered “missed” by the court.

With the option of court order enforcement, it is extremely important to be sure that all modifications for your support orders are filed and approved by the court.

Deeper Understanding. Better Solutions.

When working together with your former spouse to create a modification of your current order, you may be unsure of what to do. Our modifications attorney can help you find a solution to your new issue and file the modification with the court.

Are you considering requesting a modification to your current support order? Our modifications attorney can help you request a change of your current court order and protect your interests from complications in the future. Call us today at (951) 418-2770 to get started and schedule a consultation.

Related Posts
  • Successful Strategies for Enforcing Spousal Support Orders in California Read More
  • Why Do I Need A Lawyer for Child Support? Read More
  • Helping Children Cope with Divorce Read More