What Happens If You Don’t Pay Your Spousal Support Payments?

past due bills

Spousal support is the amount of money a domestic partner or former spouse is ordered to pay by the court. Spousal support is often ordered when one spouse makes significantly more than the other. The receiving spouse is also entitled to keep a standard of living to which they have become accustomed.

If a spouse stops making the alimony payments they are required to make by the court, they could face several consequences.

Failing to Pay Spousal Support

In California, if your spouse stops making their court-ordered spousal support payments, the court can order a wage garnishment, where you get a fixed percentage of their income. The court can also intercept his or her tax refund and bank account to ensure support is given.

The court also has the power to hold the spouse in contempt of court for not paying. However, such measures are not always needed, especially with the assistance of an experienced family law attorney.

Changes in Spousal Support Agreements

If the spouse receiving spousal support has a drastic change in their life, spousal support payments may increase. There are times when the ex-spouse can become ill, lose their job, and more. In extreme cases like this, payments may also increase. This can also happen if the paying spouse's financial situation changes.

The length of spousal support payments can vary. If the spouse receiving spousal support has a change in financial circumstances or even gets married, support payments may be reduced or stopped. If you are paying alimony and discover there is a change in your spouse's situation, the court should be notified.

If your ex-spouse has stopped making spousal support payments or if you believe you shouldn't, find a competent family law attorney. Let them apprise you of your rights so that you won't make the wrong decision. Never go into court without competent counsel who will advocate on your behalf.

The professionals at the Law Offices of Michael D. Iverson, APC can help decide what your best options are and what your plan should be moving forward. Allow them to be your advocate in this very trying time.

Call our firm at (951) 418-2770 today to speak with our experienced and professional Murrieta family law attorneys.

Related Posts
  • Successful Strategies for Enforcing Spousal Support Orders in California Read More
  • Types of Alimony: Which One is Right for Your Situation? Read More
  • Can Retirement Impact My Active Support Orders? Read More